Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deload week for easier lifts
I realize after lifting 85%+ of my 1RM deadlift most of the time for the last few years that I was beating up my body and hindering and preventing progress. Luckily no injuries. I realize now this was a stupid approach. I am working now on a new training program that will have me lifting lighter weights (~70% 1RM) mostly with wave cycling so that I will only go for the heavy weights about once every 3-4 months. It will also incorporate deloads and with the wave cycles.

The question is do you think deloads are necessary for the easier upper body lifts: bench press/weighted pull-ups/dips/overhead press? By deload I mean like a full week at a really easy weight (60% or so) or even a week off. I don't feel that those stress my CNS nearly as much as deadlifts but still my inclination is to incorporate de-loading anyway.
A full week off from training every couple of months is good for your recovery and sanity. I say deload the upper body lifts too - they're probably stressing your CNS more than you realise.
I quit deadlifting 9 months ago. Never looked back. Best training decision I’ve made. I recover from workouts so much better. Your back squat will keep your deadlift numbers up. I revisited the deadlift once after 4 months off. When deadlifting regular the most I could pull 405 was 9 reps. After 4 months of only squats in my training I pulled it 8 times. And there’s not a doubt in my mind if I hadn’t ran the 2 miles right before I tried it I could have got 1 or 2 more. Unless you are training strictly for a power lifting meet or just flat out enjoy it, you don’t need it.
(04-15-2020, 08:50 AM)lemmings Wrote: A full week off from training every couple of months is good for your recovery and sanity. I say deload the upper body lifts too - they're probably stressing your CNS more than you realise.

Yeah, it's likely the case. I will do it.

(04-15-2020, 01:27 PM)Flip109 Wrote: I quit deadlifting 9 months ago. Never looked back. Best training decision I’ve made. I recover from workouts so much better. Your back squat will keep your deadlift numbers up. I revisited the deadlift once after 4 months off. When deadlifting regular the most I could pull 405 was 9 reps. After 4 months of only squats in my training I pulled it 8 times. And there’s not a doubt in my mind if I hadn’t ran the 2 miles right before I tried it I could have got 1 or 2 more. Unless you are training strictly for a power lifting meet or just flat out enjoy it, you don’t need it.

I don't do squats. I'm an amputee and use a prosthetic leg so I don't have the ROM in my leg to do squats. Deadlifts are my main lower body training (aside from cycling/cardio and leg press when gyms re-open). And yeah, I do enjoy them. Also, I suspect that we are built somewhat differently even without considering the amputee aspect. I'm pretty much a lanky ecto who trains (6'2", 165lbs, 6.5" wrists, LONG arms and legs). My strength "potential" in a movement like the squat is much lower than for the deadlift. I'm just built for the deadlift a lot more than the squat.

Nonetheless, deadlifts are taxing, that's why I'm working to make sure that my program is built so they don't over-tax me. I'll be pulling once or twice a week and only going above 90% once every 3-4 months with very low reps.
Good on you for training around the prosthetic! Most people look for any excuse to get out of exercise. Bravo. Sorry if my post came off wrong. Was just my experience with dropping it.
(04-16-2020, 03:06 PM)Flip109 Wrote: Good on you for training around the prosthetic! Most people look for any excuse to get out of exercise. Bravo. Sorry if my post came off wrong. Was just my experience with dropping it.

Thanks Smile

No worries, it's always good to hear other people's experience, even if it's quite different that your own.
I’ve just become a minimalist training wise. I actually enjoy running more even though I’m not a great runner haha