11-14-2018, 12:53 PM
(This post was last modified: 11-14-2018, 01:00 PM by jimjohnson.)
(10-14-2018, 07:01 AM)Zabulon Wrote: Hello, everyone! This is yet another post about someone stuck in the skinnyfat limbo.
I have been training twice a week for the past year. While I believe it to be enough to make progress in itself (I have been training more in the past and it led me nowhere, in accordance with one of Truthseeker's post btw), it remains that I have been stuck in skinny-fatness since I've started lifting, some 2 or 3 years ago.
I weigh 76 Kg (167 lbs) and I am 186cms (6'1). I don't have that of a huge belly, but I have no arms, no legs, and have never seen even the shadow of my abs : It seems that I just can't seem to develop muscle without gaining fat in the midsection. I used to be overweight as a kid. I lost 25kg 3 years ago : lost a lot of muscle/fat but no loose skin.
My current diet is supposed to be a 'bulking diet'. I'm extremely slowly gaining weight, and eating 2800 kcals a day. I eat very healthy.
Program is :
Squat 4x5 ( Max : 84kg x5)
Bench Press ( Max : 74kg x5)
Weighted chin ups
Lateral raises
Rowing
Thank you for reading. It is a long post but I wanted to provide you as much information as possible.
same weight as i am and i am 5ft 7"
I'll swap some muscle for some height?
Skimming over it...i guess we are all different. Yo are naturally lean. But you need to put a few kilo of muscle on.
Focus on dl's. squats, bench, shoulder press, curls.
Do less reps but try and get heavier. Even just one set of but get those numbers up. The amount you do is not as important.
Work out max 3 times a week....only doing each lift once or twice. Track the numbers. If you not progressing you are not growing.
Keep your protein levels high...
That's about all you can do.
Do this for 12+ months i gurantee you will see some improvement. That's all we hope for.
(10-22-2018, 12:35 PM)Zabulon Wrote: Well, I'm a young teacher so yes, I guess that I live in a pretty stressful environment!
My current program :
Squat 4x5
Bench Press 4x5
weighted chin ups 5x6-8
Lateral Raises (high reps)
Rows 4x5
(I change the order of exercises a bit from one workout to the other)
I really use challenging weights (for me!) but I have been plateauing for quite some time now. I always end the last set by grinding the last reps. In the end, the problem might be that i'm afraid of gaining fat. I'm afraid that although the weights would go up with a larger caloric input, I would end up as I have once been.
In fact, I've been stuck in this for some years now haha.
Thanks for your input, I've read all your answers carefully.
The volume is far too big.....you cannot lift heavy (relative) with that volume.
What weight can you deadlift? Shoulder press? Squat?
Here are my numbers: dl: 1 rep max 180kg 5 rep 160kg (rack pull 250kg i cannot go higher as the bar is full + I'll leave it there now)
Squat: 130kg 120kg ( i struggle on squats)
Shoulder press: 80kg 67.5kg ( i tried for 100kg 1 rep max.....but it aint happening)
Now we are all different. But where are your numbers compared to this?
Do not use weights as a form of exercise. Build strength= build muscle
There will be a big difference between lifter A and lifter B
A: Shoulder press set of 20 at 45kg
B: Shoulder press 65kg x 5.
For some reason people think high rep's is the answer not weight lifted.

