0
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
BB and DB press, to flare or not to flare?
#3
(02-04-2019, 11:20 PM)Hans Wrote: I'm 6'2. I only press close-grip flat bench. Close for me is where the knurling on the bar begins (I think it's the minimum grip width allowed in some powerlifting federations, but I'm not sure about that). I have lifted weights on the bench between 120-130kg for a couple of reps per set in that style for years without any shoulder pain/problems whatsoever.
Except for the possibility of the bar crashing my throat, bench pressing in that style feels very comfortable and safe for me.

A 45 degree angle is still flaring. Unless your arms do not stay in touch with your lats during the up-and-down movement of the bar/dumbbells , you are still flaring ...

And by flaring you mean its bad? Close grip despite the arch makes the bar go too low for me and forces internal rotation and loss of scapular retraction. flaring prevents that as it shortens range of motion, but I was concerned for long term safety. Thanks
Reply


Messages In This Thread
RE: BB and DB press, to flare or not to flare? - by The Light Among Darkness - 02-04-2019, 11:40 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)