Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dangerous exercises
Chest Flyes - Immense pressure in the shoulder joint and absolutely pointless to perform. Just no. The rest of the movements below may serve some purposes to you and the reward may out do the risk but this will never apply to flyes.. gtfoh with that.

Heavy Squats/Deads - Heavy being anything that pushes close to x2 bodyweight. Its great if you have require that level strength but its just not worth it. So much damn pressure on the spine, joints and tendons. Also the tiniest mess up in form can easily result in a tear on snap.

Heavy Push Press - Mess up an explosive lock out with above your strict OHP max and its snap city with a heavy barbell also crashing down.

Heavy Behind the neck movements with a bar - Asking for a neck strain or shoulder injury at some point. If you want that angle use dumbbells.

Heavy tricep isolation - tendonitis or a trapped nerve will occur at some point.

Upright rows - They're not for everyone and narrow grip upright rows are for no one.

Weighted Sissy Squats - So much unnecessary pressure on the knees.

Got to disagree with dips being dangerous. It is really dependent on your flexibility. I've been doing deep dips for a decade and weighted (maxed at 80kg). I've never had an issue ever. Its a staple movement for me personally and I also had clients perform them once they had the flexibility. Its never resulted in injury. Its a great movement for upper body development and the strength passes over to just about all pushing movements.
^ Re. flyes, I have never heard they are dangerous in all my years. Wow! But yes the shouldn't be performed as the are "absolutely pointless".

Re. dips, to me, it's the behind the back bench dips that are being referred to as dangerous to the shoulders - though I have to admit, I never had any issues when performing them. I think they do encourage bouncing (poor form).
(03-27-2019, 12:10 AM)Peak Wrote: Weighted Sissy Squats - So much unnecessary pressure on the knees.
They are so ridiculous I refuse to call them an exercise Big Grin
(03-27-2019, 03:36 AM)Simple Simon Wrote: ^ Re. flyes, I have never heard they are dangerous in all my years. Wow! But yes the shouldn't be performed as the are "absolutely pointless".

Re. dips, to me, it's the behind the back bench dips that are being referred to as dangerous to the shoulders - though I have to admit, I never had any issues when performing them. I think they do encourage bouncing (poor form).

Re: You have now, you're welcome for that bro. 
Possibly just saved your shoulder joints and tendons.
A far better alternative would be a plate push.

Re: Yeah perhaps as you're basically putting you arm in the hammerlock position for reps.
https://www.quora.com/What-workouts-or-e...t-workouts
Why You Should Never Do This Exercise
Top 10 Exercises to AVOID - YouTube

1. Bosu Ball Exercises
2. Ass to Grass Squat (don't go too deep)
3. Side bends
4. Front raises
5. Narrow grip upright rows
6. External rotations with dumbbells
7. Behind the neck pulldown
8. Behind the neck shoulder press
9. Good mornings
10. Full sit ups
(03-27-2019, 12:10 AM)Peak Wrote: Heavy tricep isolation - tendonitis or a trapped nerve will occur at some point.

Interesting. I initially said that overhead tricep extensions were dangerous. I remember in 'Hardgainer' Brooks Kubik saying that tricep extensions (period) are dangerous.

I have a completely wrecked elbow, and even light pushdowns give me pain.

So, are even lying tricep extensions dangerous?