Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dangerous exercises
If you have long femurs and short, stiff iliopsoas muscle (many people have this isusse without knowing it) doing squats and deadlifts is injury waiting to happen to your lowerback and knees
Stick to leg press, lunges, stepups and seated leg extension machine, RDL are also fine, and funny enough I discovered that pistols are just fine in this case unlike regular squats (probably because your lowerback is a little curved during pistols)
(01-17-2019, 10:03 AM)Navigator Wrote: If you have long femurs and short, stiff iliopsoas muscle (many people have this isusse without knowing it) doing squats and deadlifts is injury waiting to happen to your lowerback and knees
Stick to leg press, lunges, stepups and seated leg extension machine, RDL are also fine, and funny enough I discovered that pistols are just fine in this case unlike regular squats (probably because your lowerback is a little curved during pistols)

Squatting properly with long femurs is definitely challenging but in general not impossible:

With long femurs your butt shifts more backwards on the way down, so you are forced to lean more forward to balance out. That's bad. But if you squat with a more open angle between your legs ("spread your legs"), you artificially shorten your femurs (look from the side), and your butt will shift backwards only to a lesser extent. Then you do not have to bent over that much. This requires some flexibility in your adductor muscles though.
Stop Doing Chest Flys - I'm Begging You!!
It's some sort of heresy, but squats with a heavy weight put somewhere on top of the spine is a stupid exercise, especially if one's goal is to train legs. Barbell back squats fall into this category, but also front squats, goblet squats, etc., they just mitigate problems with "foldability" by shifting a center of mass closer to the middle of your feet. Anyhow we look at it, the force has to go through your spine and no amount of bracing nor other drills can change it. Muscles stabilize the spine, yeah, but don't take away tension from the spine.

Upright rows are not smart, since you can train the same muscles without actually impinging your shoulders. My first gym injury was due to upright rows, couldn't rise my arm beneath shoulder level for a week, lol.
Flys don't bring anything new to the table if you do BB or DB press, just put your shoulders in vulnerable position at the bottom of the motion and strain your pecs.
Pushes and pulls overhead behind a neck are pointless too and virtually have no advantage compared to similar exercises done in front. That said, people with long clavicles still gonna have problems with exercises like military presses.

It may seem paranoid, but if a longevity is the goal rather than performance and huge numbers, then it's better to avoid above mentioned exercises and do safer alternatives. How many elder lifters do you see performing back squats and deadlifts on regular basis? What happens to people who were proficient at these lifts in their heydays that they stop doing them altogether?

PS: My first post here, so hi all Wink
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iC5hTzJ7frw

Globrain wrote

"pull-overs only work to expand the rib cage until you reach your early twenties"

"Behind the neck presses are unsafe, destroy your rotator cuff"

"Barbell extensions of any kind, standing or otherwise, wreck your elbows"

"There are many other Golden Age exercises that should be abandoned, such as behind-the-neck pulldowns, upright rows, etc. "
(03-23-2019, 02:11 AM)Simple Simon Wrote: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iC5hTzJ7frw

Globrain wrote

"pull-overs only work to expand the rib cage until you reach your early twenties"

"Behind the neck presses are unsafe, destroy your rotator cuff"

"There are many other Golden Age exercises that should be abandoned, such as behind-the-neck pulldowns, upright rows, etc. "

Agree with all except behind the neck press.

Look at most peoples (recreational lifters) shoulders. They are small right. Not big muscles at all. So why do lifter always blame the exercise when they hurt their shoulders trying to press behind neck a 60kg barbell for 3 reps when they can barely military press that weight.

If people kept their egos in check press behind neck would not be dangerous. Its meant for moderate light weight and higher reps with controlled form.

^ We may need to agree to disagree.

(From the YouTube comments:

"McTastyy

behind the neck shoulder press is one of the worst exercises you can do. Ive seen countless guys have shoulder problems due to adding it to their routine. It puts your rotator cuff in an unnatural position, and with all that weight and stress on top of it, you're bound to get injured")
(03-23-2019, 07:15 AM)Simple Simon Wrote: ^ We may need to agree to disagree.

(From the YouTube comments:

"McTastyy

behind the neck shoulder press is one of the worst exercises you can do. Ive seen countless guys have shoulder problems due to adding it to their routine. It puts your rotator cuff in an unnatural position, and with all that weight and stress on top of it, you're bound to get injured")

Its hard to argue with:

"Ive seen"
"You bound to"
"All that weight"

First of all, we can't know if "ive seen" is reliable because we don't know if those people had pre-existing shoulder issues or just using too much weight with bad form or both.

Then "you bound to" is just an estimated guess. I could also say "you bound to wreck your lower back from back squats". You may or you may not.

Lastly, "all that weight", is he referring to a 100kg bar behind your neck or a 20kg bar behind your neck. Very vague. 

The bench press also puts your rotator cuff in a unnatural position, so whats his point.

When someone says "ive seen countless" well then you know they full of gross exagerations. Really. Hes really seen countless? Like an uncountable amount, like with his own eyes hes seen like 300 rotator cuff tears as a lifter was performing a press behind the neck? 

Again, its also just as subjective when someone says "press behind the neck is one of the worst exercises you can do" as someone saying "back squats are one of the best exercises you can do". No shoe fits all.

So you and I are going to have to agree to disagree.

(03-23-2019, 02:11 AM)Simple Simon Wrote: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iC5hTzJ7frw

Globrain wrote

Triceps extensions are fine if you do them correctly. Cf. Rippetoe/Blaha style for a form that doesn't wreck your elbow tendons. Additionally, if you *slightly* flare your elbows during the downwards movement when passing though the 90 degrees position it becomes even less stressful. You can also do your wrists a favor and use an sz-bar if you like.

I have done the exact same exercise for *years* (almost every week) with almost 50kg (regular 20kg barbell plus 25-30kg extra weight) without any problems whatsoever.

I do get tendonitis though if I do it bodybuilding-style (lower the bar to the forehead). It's even stupid in terms of triceps development to do the exercise that way. So I have no idea why the muscle maniacs are doing this.
Behind the neck pullups and wide grip pullups - pointless and dangerous to your joints
But it looks cool in movies
Dips beyond parallel line also - pointless and dangerous to your joints