Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BB and DB press, to flare or not to flare?
People who are 6 feet + what are your grip width on bench press? Do you flare on DB press? 45 degree db press and close grip (shoulder width) bench makes my shoulders pop at the bottom alothough people say its safer somehow. I retract scapula and the form is pretty good. What are your experiences?
(02-04-2019, 10:45 PM)The Light Among Darkness Wrote: People who are 6 feet + what are your grip width on bench press? Do you flare on DB press? 45 degree db press and close grip (shoulder width) bench makes my shoulders pop at the bottom alothough people say its safer somehow. I retract scapula and the form is pretty good. What are your experiences?

I'm 6'2. I only press close-grip. Close for me is where the knurling on the bar begins (I think it's the minimum grip width allowed in some powerlifting federations, but I'm not sure about that). In that style, I have lifted weights on the bench between 120-130kg for a couple of reps per set for years without any shoulder pain/injuries whatsoever.
Except for the possibility of the bar crashing my throat, close-grip bench pressing feels very comfortable and safe for me.

A 45 degree angle is still flaring. If your arms do not stay in touch with your lats during the up-and-down movement of the bar/dumbbells, you are still flaring.
(02-04-2019, 11:20 PM)Hans Wrote: I'm 6'2. I only press close-grip flat bench. Close for me is where the knurling on the bar begins (I think it's the minimum grip width allowed in some powerlifting federations, but I'm not sure about that). I have lifted weights on the bench between 120-130kg for a couple of reps per set in that style for years without any shoulder pain/problems whatsoever.
Except for the possibility of the bar crashing my throat, bench pressing in that style feels very comfortable and safe for me.

A 45 degree angle is still flaring. Unless your arms do not stay in touch with your lats during the up-and-down movement of the bar/dumbbells , you are still flaring ...

And by flaring you mean its bad? Close grip despite the arch makes the bar go too low for me and forces internal rotation and loss of scapular retraction. flaring prevents that as it shortens range of motion, but I was concerned for long term safety. Thanks
(02-04-2019, 11:40 PM)The Light Among Darkness Wrote: And by flaring you mean its bad? Close grip despite the arch makes the bar go too low for me and forces internal rotation and loss of scapular retraction. flaring prevents that as it shortens range of motion, but I was concerned for long term safety. Thanks

With close-grip bench press, the bar is supposed to touch your body right *below* your chest (even lower if you have very long upper arms). Then if you keep your arms close to your body during the movement, there is no internal rotation at all (I imagine that I'm pressing my arms outwards on the way up (like a 'V' if seen from someone standing behind my head while I'm lying on the bench). By that, I can further reduce the risk of me accidentally flaring my arms).

Yes flaring is bad .. as has already been explained somewhere else on the board.
(02-05-2019, 12:14 AM)Hans Wrote: With close-grip bench press, the bar is supposed to touch your body right *below* your chest (even lower if you have very long upper arms). Then if you keep your arms close to your body during the movement, there is no internal rotation at all (I imagine that I'm pressing my arms outwards on the way up (like a 'V' if seen from someone standing behind my head while I'm lying on the bench). By that, I can further reduce the risk of me accidentally flaring my arms).

Yes flaring is bad .. as has already been explained somewhere else on the board.

I tried pressing toward lower ribs/sternum with close grip- arms too long and the elbow angle at the bottom is like 20 degress, the biceps almost touches forearm. The arms are loooong seriously. Close grip also makes my shoulders pop because of such rom and loose scapula retraction. I had to keep at 45 degrees and touch lower chest, but lately I started to think about future safety, so hence the question. Thanks for the info.
(02-05-2019, 12:20 AM)The Light Among Darkness Wrote: I tried pressing toward lower ribs/sternum with close grip- arms too long and the elbow angle at the bottom is like 20 degress, the biceps almost touches forearm. The arms are loooong seriously. Close grip also makes my shoulders pop because of such rom and loose scapula retraction. I had to keep at 45 degrees and touch lower chest, but lately I started to think about future safety, so hence the question. Thanks for the info.

Any other input guys?