Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magic Muscle Pills Report (1992)
It's common knowledge that supplements are scams. 

Just figured I'd upload some real evidence from an investigation report back in 1992. 

PDF link here:

https://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRel..._pills.pdf
(02-03-2019, 01:41 AM)locutus24 Wrote: It's common knowledge that supplements are scams. 

Just figured I'd upload some real evidence from an investigation report back in 1992. 

PDF link here:

I just took some supplements now but only because I had a hangover and felt weak and tired. So they have some small uses Wink
(02-03-2019, 10:17 AM)Brett Wrote:
(02-03-2019, 01:41 AM)locutus24 Wrote: It's common knowledge that supplements are scams. 

PDF link here:

https://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRel...le_pills.p
Drugs enable your body to bypass its natural rythm, and this is one of the reasons drugs come with side effects. Also, the stronger a drug is (enabling you to bypass your nature even more) the stronger the side effects.
As for supplements, if they had any meaningful impact in your body, say fast fat loss, fast muscle gain, or something of that nature, they would have side effects, thus they would be illegal to possess. What people need to understand is that the mechanism of action of drugs is completely different to the action of supplements. Drugs have quantity in  mg/ml ratio or mg/g because they must have the exact mg per ampule or pill, in order for them to be helpful. You cant have pills that claim to be of 15mg consistency but in reality they are of 10mg or 50mg, that is illegal and can actually harm the person taking them. That is called quality control and this is the reason drugs are highly regulated and regularly tested of their consistency.
The same does not apply to supplements, because supplements are unregulated (for the vast majority of them). Thus, came to birth the term "proprietery blends" which in essence means that the supplement box can have any ingridient it says it has, but not in the consistency it claims to have. But here is the thing, since supplements are just food products, your body wont experience side effects , and even if it does, it will utmost be some form of diarrhea or indigestion.
Drugs are quick to act in your body, and are sometimes "violent" to the mechanisms of your body, which is why there are side effects. You cant have an effect, without a side effect, and vice-versa. I remember reading an essay about xanax and how it acts in your brain. In short, after ingesting xanax, its like pushing a button to your brain to make it go to sleep "NOW". This ofcourse, may help with insomnia or anxiety, but comes with a myriad of side effects.
This is the reason i laugh at people in the gym that claim to have found a new protein supplement that has steroid like results. If you have any basic knowledge of chemisty, biology and biochemisty you quickly learn of all the mechanisms behind  metabolic pathways, what sets them on, and what sets them off. Anabolic steroids add muscle though a very similar pathway, but not the exact same, compared to food, supplements and training, and most doctors are not really sure how they do it - most speculate that its due to mitochondia increase and IGF-1 but they are still not 100% sure. This is the reason why you experience side effects from steroids, but from supplements you dont.

PDF link here:

I just took some supplements now but only because I had a hangover and felt weak and tired. So they have some small uses Wink
Yeah, I have to admit that long ago when I took creatine I felt an energy boost. But thinking back on it now I think it had a lot of caffeine and sugar. The report does say that a small selection of supplements could potentially be helpful, but there aren't any peer-reviewed studies that show this. 

If you feel they help you and feel your money isn't being wasted then nothing wrong with buying the supplements. For me, they don't seem to help anymore and a lot of other bodybuilders seem to have similar experiences.

(02-03-2019, 01:22 PM)khrazz Wrote:

PDF link here:

https://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRel...le_pills.p
Drugs enable your body to bypass its natural rythm, and this is one of the reasons drugs come with side effects. Also, the stronger a drug is (enabling you to bypass your nature even more) the stronger the side effects.
As for supplements, if they had any meaningful impact in your body, say fast fat loss, fast muscle gain, or something of that nature, they would have side effects, thus they would be illegal to possess. What people need to understand is that the mechanism of action of drugs is completely different to the action of supplements. Drugs have quantity in  mg/ml ratio or mg/g because they must have the exact mg per ampule or pill, in order for them to be helpful. You cant have pills that claim to be of 15mg consistency but in reality they are of 10mg or 50mg, that is illegal and can actually harm the person taking them. That is called quality control and this is the reason drugs are highly regulated and regularly tested of their consistency.
The same does not apply to supplements, because supplements are unregulated (for the vast majority of them). Thus, came to birth the term "proprietery blends" which in essence means that the supplement box can have any ingridient it says it has, but not in the consistency it claims to have. But here is the thing, since supplements are just food products, your body wont experience side effects , and even if it does, it will utmost be some form of diarrhea or indigestion.
Drugs are quick to act in your body, and are sometimes "violent" to the mechanisms of your body, which is why there are side effects. You cant have an effect, without a side effect, and vice-versa. I remember reading an essay about xanax and how it acts in your brain. In short, after ingesting xanax, its like pushing a button to your brain to make it go to sleep "NOW". This ofcourse, may help with insomnia or anxiety, but comes with a myriad of side effects.
This is the reason i laugh at people in the gym that claim to have found a new protein supplement that has steroid like results. If you have any basic knowledge of chemisty, biology and biochemisty you quickly learn of all the mechanisms behind  metabolic pathways, what sets them on, and what sets them off. Anabolic steroids add muscle though a very similar pathway, but not the exact same, compared to food, supplements and training, and most doctors are not really sure how they do it - most speculate that its due to mitochondia increase and IGF-1 but they are still not 100% sure. This is the reason why you experience side effects from steroids, but from supplements you dont.
You're spot on about this. 

The supplement companies do as you say; they label the ingredients but not the ratios. The report actually determined that many of them did cause bad side effects, but without the benefits of muscle mass or fat loss. They led to as you mentioned digestive problems. They are from what I read very harsh on the kidneys. There is also citations from the Sinai Book fo Nutrition talking about how supplements basically contain amino acids in "separate" form rather than as BACC (branced-chain amino chains) and that when ingested it creates some incorrect ratio of "separate" amino acids to the BACCs that your body naturally ingests which can cause other body issues.

Interesting about how they aren't 100% sure why anabolic steroids cause the pathway leading to increased muscle mass. I'm going to have to read up on that later on.
when i did take creatine i used to get headaches....i gave it up. Never seen any difference any way.
(02-03-2019, 06:11 PM)locutus24 Wrote: Yeah, I have to admit that long ago when I took creatine I felt an energy boost. But thinking back on it now I think it had a lot of caffeine and sugar. The report does say that a small selection of supplements could potentially be helpful, but there aren't any peer-reviewed studies that show this. 

If you feel they help you and feel your money isn't being wasted then nothing wrong with buying the supplements. For me, they don't seem to help anymore and a lot of other bodybuilders seem to have similar experiences.

You're spot on about this. 

The supplement companies do as you say; they label the ingredients but not the ratios. The report actually determined that many of them did cause bad side effects, but without the benefits of muscle mass or fat loss. They led to as you mentioned digestive problems. They are from what I read very harsh on the kidneys. There is also citations from the Sinai Book fo Nutrition talking about how supplements basically contain amino acids in "separate" form rather than as BACC (branced-chain amino chains) and that when ingested it creates some incorrect ratio of "separate" amino acids to the BACCs that your body naturally ingests which can cause other body issues.

Interesting about how they aren't 100% sure why anabolic steroids cause the pathway leading to increased muscle mass. I'm going to have to read up on that later on.

Bcaas are a waste of money. 3 single amino acids alone cannot form a big chain of amino acids, in order for that chain to become a peptide and in the end protein. That alone, proves that bcaas are just sugary water. You would actually get more benefits from eating 2 tablespoons of sugar than bcaas.  Actually, leucine (the main amino acid of bcaas) is in abundance in many foods - unless you eat a plant based only diet, your body has enough supply of leucine and amino acids.

As for anabolics, yes i remember i read a research paper where scientists used superphysiological levels of testosterone on sedentary people. They all gained muscle, without lifting a single weight. Whats interesting is that even when they stopped using testosterone, they had more muscle nuclei and saterlite cells, which actually, in theory cause it has not been tested, nor scientifically proven, means that once you use exogenous hormones, you permanently change your muscle structure and you develop more sensitivity to hormones - even your own. This was also done as a study on powerlifters who previously used anabolics, but stopped using for 3+ years. They did a muscle autopsy on them, which revealed that their muscles kept the muscle nuclei, even after going cold turkey for 3 years. Thats insane.