Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Arnold's blue pill motivation for success
(07-15-2019, 01:21 PM)TruthSeeker Wrote: Weider aside, Arnold is Arnold because of his genetics. Successful people who are naturally talented at something often blue pill the crowd by making the plebs think that it was hard work or some mythical work ethic that got them to the top.

I understand the "hard work" statement because there's a truth to it.  Unfortunately it's not just hard work alone which is why that statement upsets so many... 
.. whether it's scholastics or sports there's 3 groups:
1) Those who have talent and put little effort 
2) Those who have a great work ethic but limited talent
3) Combination of 1 and 2  -- this is Arnold and co

There's also the case of effort leading to untapped talent.  Say you ride a skateboard for the first time and find yourself feeling awkward. If you give up after the first couple of attempts, you may have never realized you have some talent because you didnt give yourself a chance.  Or let's say you're scared to take risks so you never truly try hard.
As far as athletes go gotta add a 4) Talent plus hard work plus steroids. This trumps anything. It’s actually pretty awesome to watch when all these three line up.
Youtube comments here.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eWJVvNptHZ4
I just listened to the speech. It was great ... as a motivational speech. But yes, absolutely no mention of the other factors that contributed to his success.
Maybe Arnold should talk a little more about this:

"But Graham, who was wrestling professionally under the name of Lord Paul Graham, soon became involved in some illicit activity in which Arnold could have easily become an accomplice. The context of their relationship is captured so well by Laurence Leamer that it deserves to be quoted in full:

Los Angeles was a meat market, a strugle for survival. Arnold saw bodybuilders living in their cars, hustling their bodies, selling steroids, doing whatever they had to do to get by. Fortunately or unfortunately, Arnold was able to share an apartment in Studio City with an Australian bodybuilder named Paul Graham.

On December 9 and 10, 1968, two automobiles were stolen in Los Angeles, only to reappear in the Antipodes. In January 1969 the Justice  Department filed a complaint asserting that Paul Graham had transported two stolen Mustangs, a 1965 Ford Mustang and a 1966 Ford Mustang, in foreign commerce from Los Angeles, California, to Sydney, Australia.

Arnold danced a sinuous waltz to stay away from various illegal activities that bodybuilders used to make money. Arnold was close enough to Graham that in 1969 they were staying together in a hotel in Hawaii for a bodybuilding exhibition. 'He said that he had some legal problems, and one day he left the hotel,' said Arnold. 'The next thing I knew, I was getting a phone call to visit him in some  institution down in Long Beach. He and I never talked about it. I was very far removed and never saw him take any cars. It was a sensitive thing.

Boyer Coe offers a more nuanced version of this story related to him by long-time friend Bill Drake who had also lived with Arnold in those years.

I am not quite sure what Arnold's involvement [was] in this. Anyhow, as luck would have it, Arnold gets in a wreck in one of these hot cars, and the gear shift gets jabbed into his leg. Bill quickly gets him out of there, away from the scene and to the emergency room. Shortly after this, Arnold and Paul take off for Hawaii, until things cool down. While in Hawaii they are arrested by the FBI. Paul takes the fall and goes to Terminal Island for several years. So Arnold now owes Paul. This is a fact, as it turns out, one of the arresting FBI agents was the father of Cathy Gelfo - who happened to be the girlfriend of Mike Mentzer - which was not known until years later. Naturally you will find no arrest record of Arnold, as he was very close to George Bush, senior, and he was able to get this removed. So there is no record of this.

Whether Arnold owed Paul for taking the fall on this rap and how much "Paul was in Arnold's pocket big time," as Coe asserts, is uncertain. But Leamer is surely correct in concluding that Arnold was not the kind of person who would abandon an old friend in adversity. Indeed Arnold, in speaking later of his association with Graham, stated that "he always has been a fantastic friend and a great human being." That this intimate tie with the past was sustained into later life is indicated by the fact that Arnold served as best man at Graham's marriage to his wife Carol in 1981 and that Graham was a groomsman at Arnold's wedding."
^ But purely in terms of BB success, no mention of his genetics or drugs.

-------------

Joe Weider and Arnold S were involved in a scam from the late 60s to convince teenage boys around the world that through determination, self-belief and "hard work" you could develop a physique like Arnold S.

But not only that, when (not if, when) you had this amazing physique, you would then have this amazing life. Other men would both admire you and fear you, beautiful women would just offer themselves to you, money would just magically appear. Your life would be a perpetual state of happiness.

People in/from the fitness industry are just old fashioned scam artists. But because the public figures are smiling and attractive, and claim to be so concerned about people's health, success and happiness, they have a free pass.
There are great pictures from advertisements showing Arnold selling Joe Weider's "power bracelet".
Such as https://physicalculturestudy.com/2016/11...-bracelet/
All you have to do to be strong like Arnold, and get women, is buy and wear the power bracelet! This was an even bigger scam than telling people all one had to do is workout like Arnold, and you too could be big like him, without mentioning steroids.

When Weider starting selling food supplements, they were so dangerous they were banned by the FDA.

So Arnold's real method of success? Don't have a conscience, be ruthless. Arnold is just repeating the lie of how he got big "all one has to do is work hard". Liar, liar pants on fire.
Ricky Wayne, an ardent supporter of the Sergio Oliva physique, recalls a conversation he had with promoter Eddie Sylvestre years later during a 1984 meeting at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas. In his book “Muscle Wars”, Wayne writes, “Sylvestre told me that on the evening before the 1973 Mr. International contest, he and his wife had dined with Joe Weider and his wife, Betty.” According to Sylvestre, “Weider remarked that he’d invested too much money in Arnold’s career to risk the latter’s defeat by Oliva.” Sylvestre said he took that to mean Weider expected him to guarantee a victory for Arnold, which was “totally out of the question!”

Full article here https://www.rxmuscle.com/articles/john-h...ident.html
(07-28-2019, 10:33 AM)Grinch Wrote: There are great pictures from advertisements showing Arnold  selling Joe Weider's "power bracelet".
Such as https://physicalculturestudy.com/2016/11...-bracelet/
All you have to do to be strong like Arnold, and get women, is buy and wear the power bracelet! This was an even bigger scam than telling people all one had to do is workout like Arnold, and you too could be big like him, without mentioning steroids.

When Weider starting  selling food supplements, they were so dangerous they were banned by the FDA.

So Arnold's real method of success? Don't have a conscience, be ruthless. Arnold is just repeating the lie of how he got big "all one has to do is work hard". Liar, liar pants on fire.

Nobody judges the winners.
^ So if someone is a winner, and they look good, we believe anything they say?
  An interesting article written when Arnold S was running for the California Governorship.

An Ethos Developed in the GymSEP. 29, 2003 

"He loved making a fool out of people.”

[color=var(--primaryTextColor)]"He also was able to psych out opponents with pointed barbs that played on their insecurities.[/color]
[size=undefined][color=var(--primaryTextColor)]
“I will pull one trick after another on my competition to wipe him out, you know -- because it’s my living and I have to win,” he once told an interviewer. “I will do as much as I can to make him look bad and me look good.”"

[/size][/color]

"“When Arnold was a young bodybuilder, he once asked me if any man can achieve whatever he wants. I told him every guy has his limits,” recalled former champ Rick Wayne. “Arnold told me, ‘You’re wrong, Rick. Any man can get what he desires provided he’s willing to pay whatever price.’ ”"