Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Arnold's blue pill motivation for success
Exactly right. Arnold was a snake who played quarterback on Machiavelli's team. Hey, no water no foul. That's the name of the game nowadays. Treachery supersedes honor and morality. He was a master manipulator.

Hard work is the biggest lie of the modern times.
(02-11-2019, 04:50 PM)Richard Wrote: Hard work is the biggest lie of the modern times.

Very harsh.

Hard work is often necessary, but rarely sufficient. The preachers commonly "forget" that latter part.
(02-11-2019, 07:43 PM)Hans Wrote: Very harsh.

Hard work is often necessary, but rarely sufficient. The preachers commonly "forget" that latter part.

The preachers are liars who want to feel good and can't face the reality that sometimes it's not possible to outwork a bad situation. The feel gooders on social media want you to believe you can, but sometimes you can't.

The simple reality is that hard work isn't enough to get you where you need to go, it takes a lot more.
(02-11-2019, 04:02 PM)Grinch Wrote: Arnold dumped his girlfriend of 6 years to date a lawyers daughter, which lawyer had the connections to get Arnold into movies. Then he dumped her for Maria Shriver, to get him into politics.
Cold blooded ruthlessness was the key to his success.

Arnold S married Maria Shriver in 1986.

Why did Arnold S become the biggest actor in the world, and not be seen as just a big dumb guy? Was it because he married a high-status woman? 

As a side note, I read Wendy Leigh's book 'Arnold' years ago, but it all seemed pretty tame. I might read it again.
(02-12-2019, 01:50 AM)Simple Simon Wrote:  
Arnold S married Maria Shriver in 1986.
[quote pid='2402' dateline='1549936204']

Why did Arnold S become the biggest actor in the world, and not be seen as just a big dumb guy? Was it because he married a high-status woman? 

As a side note, I read Wendy Leigh's book 'Arnold' years ago, but it all seemed pretty tame. I might read it again.
[/quote]

Hollywood has made stars out of many men  and women of average intelligence. The key is to get selected in the first place. Arnold's big breakthrough roles came in 1982 and 1984, Conan and Terminator. 
Most bodybuilders viewed Arnold as an asshole. Arnold would trash talk competitors on stage, trying to disrupt their posing.
Arnold has had many nicknames, not all of them complimentary - Terminator, Governator, Gropinator, Sperminator.
^ I've never heard that. I knew the competitive games he played - he's openly bragged about them - but I thought all the bodybuilders in 70s admired Arnold S.

But you still haven't told me, how do you think Arnold S was able to become the biggest movie star in the world?
Biggest movie star in the world? He hasn't had a hit since Terminator 3. He was not the biggest Hollywood star in the 1990s, even ignoring Bollywood and Hong Kong movies. Bollywood being larger than Hollywood, and stars like Jackie Chan working out of Hong Kong. So, was Arnold even the biggest Hollywood box office draw in the 1980s-1990s?

https://www.ultimatemovierankings.com/to...ars-1990s/
Arnold was 13th.

Reasons for his success? 1) he got lucky, getting cast into roles that did not require acting skills 2) he is handsome and personable. 3) most important of all, he got lucky. Like winning a lottery ticket. True for so many actors. There are far too many actors, chasing very few openings.

Without Terminator, his career fades out early. They were going to use OJ Simpson, but then decided no one would believe OJ would be credible as a killer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_Schwarzenegger
"During his initial campaign for governor, allegations of sexual and personal misconduct were raised against Schwarzenegger, dubbed "Gropegate".[115] Within the last five days before the election, news reports appeared in the Los Angeles Times recounting allegations of sexual misconduct from several individual women, six of whom eventually came forward with their personal stories.[116]

Three of the women claimed he had grabbed their breasts, a fourth said he placed his hand under her skirt on her buttock. A fifth woman claimed Schwarzenegger tried to take off her bathing suit in a hotel elevator, and the last said he pulled her onto his lap and asked her about a sex act.[115]"
(02-12-2019, 01:43 PM)Grinch Wrote: Biggest movie star in the world? He hasn't had a hit since Terminator 3. He was not the biggest Hollywood star in the 1990s, even ignoring Bollywood and Hong Kong movies. Bollywood being larger than Hollywood, and stars like Jackie Chan working out of Hong Kong. So, was Arnold even the biggest Hollywood box office draw in the 1980s-1990s?

https://www.ultimatemovierankings.com/to...ars-1990s/
Arnold was  13th.

Reasons for his success? 1) he got lucky, getting cast into roles that did not require acting skills 2) he is handsome and personable. 3) most important of all, he got lucky. Like winning a lottery ticket. True for so many actors. There are far too many actors, chasing very few openings.

He was superbly marketable. If you were to design the perfect male stereotype it would be him.

(02-12-2019, 01:43 PM)Grinch Wrote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_Schwarzenegger
"During his initial campaign for governor, allegations of sexual and personal misconduct were raised against Schwarzenegger, dubbed "Gropegate".[115] Within the last five days before the election, news reports appeared in the Los Angeles Times recounting allegations of sexual misconduct from several individual women, six of whom eventually came forward with their personal stories.[116]

Three of the women claimed he had grabbed their breasts, a fourth said he placed his hand under her skirt on her buttock. A fifth woman claimed Schwarzenegger tried to take off her bathing suit in a hotel elevator, and the last said he pulled her onto his lap and asked her about a sex act.[115]"

Yeah, must have really been terrifying for them getting wet with the Terminator ...

Really, I cannot stand such women. Back then, they didn't mind the ride. But some decades later they suddenly feel "uncomfortable" and "used".
Could it perhaps be that those wrinkled hags just see a chance now to earn some cash and get their one week of fame?
^^ "Biggest movie star in the world? He hasn't had a hit since Terminator 3. He was not the biggest Hollywood star in the 1990s"

C'mon, let's not downplay his status. In the 90s Arnold S was the biggest movie star in Hollywood.

^ "He was superbly marketable. If you were to design the perfect male stereotype it would be him."

Ummm... he couldn't act, and couldn't speak clearly. What about "hunky" Mike O'Hearn? His film career went absolutely nowhere. He was just seen as a pretty boy. How did Arnold break through this? By marrying a high-status woman. And he planned that from the start.
My wife is a big Arnold fan. She has cds of all his movies. They aren't as good the tenth time as they are the first time. She says Arnold had the perfect body. Usually she likes actors like Sean Connery who has hairy arms and chest.

Most of what Arnolds blue pill of success is hype. Basically, you too can win the lottery.