Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Arnold's blue pill motivation for success
Life is full of what ifs and what will moments. You can say that Arnold cheated his way up, that could be the truth, however that does not mean he did not "chase" his luck or that he did not "create" his luck. Had he not competed in bodybuilding in germany, and had he not chased his dream of competing, we would not know him today. His future was already made up from his father, who  wanted Arnold to become a police officer. If he followed his dads dream, there would be no arnold today.

Ofcourse, you can say that he got lucky he met Joe Weider, i agree, he was "lucky". But its not like all he did was sit on his home watching tv waiting for luck to knock on his door. He chased his dream, and i am willing to bet he was rejected by a lot of people before him meeting Joe Weider. Him being in america was not an easy feat, he barely knew english and all his marketable skills was bodybuilding, nothing more nothing less. If you think about it, his life was on the line , cause with no marketable skills, and no basic knowledge of english, in a country that english is the primary spoken language, you can easily end up as a low payed worker for the rest of your life IF you dont play your cards right.

Arnold played his cards right, and was smart enough to realize bodybuilding wont wield him a lot of money to be able to sustain himself - in the long term atleast. So, he did what anyone with no marketable skills does - he jumped into the Hollywood scene. His first movies were garbage due to him not talking english - that did not stop him from chasing his dream though. After all, success is not single step thing, its actually a huge road with loads of bumps inbetween.

So yes, he worked hard. In my mind he is right for saying that. Its only though hard work (its actually SMART work) that you get ahead.

What do i get from his story if i have to summarize?
Work hard - and create your luck. You wont achieve much if all you do is sit around in your house, waiting for people to come knock your door and ask you if you wanna be a movie star or whatever you wish to become. And be prepared to fail, a lot of times. I know this sounds bullshit, but i have come to realize that this is the way our world operates. You cant just wait for everything to be single handled to you. You need to be proactive.
Thats the moral of the story i get from Arnold.
(01-15-2019, 12:48 PM)khrazz Wrote: Life is full of what ifs and what will moments. You can say that Arnold cheated his way up, that could be the truth, however that does not mean he did not "chase" his luck or that he did not "create" his luck. Had he not competed in bodybuilding in germany, and had he not chased his dream of competing, we would not know him today. His future was already made up from his father, who  wanted Arnold to become a police officer. If he followed his dads dream, there would be no arnold today.

Ofcourse, you can say that he got lucky he met Joe Weider, i agree, he was "lucky". But its not like all he did was sit on his home watching tv waiting for luck to knock on his door. He chased his dream, and i am willing to bet he was rejected by a lot of people before him meeting Joe Weider. Him being in america was not an easy feat, he barely knew english and all his marketable skills was bodybuilding, nothing more nothing less. If you think about it, his life was on the line , cause with no marketable skills, and no basic knowledge of english, in a country that english is the primary spoken language, you can easily end up as a low payed worker for the rest of your life IF you dont play your cards right.

Arnold played his cards right, and was smart enough to realize bodybuilding wont wield him a lot of money to be able to sustain himself - in the long term atleast. So, he did what anyone with no marketable skills does - he jumped into the Hollywood scene. His first movies were garbage due to him not talking english - that did not stop him from chasing his dream though. After all, success is not single step thing, its actually a huge road with loads of bumps inbetween.

So yes, he worked hard. In my mind he is right for saying that. Its only though hard work (its actually SMART work) that you get ahead.

Work hard - and create your luck. You wont achieve much if all you do is sit around in your house, waiting for people to come knock your door and ask you if you wanna be a movie star or whatever you wish to become. And be prepared to fail, a lot of times. I know this sounds bullshit, but i have come to realize that this is the way our world operates. You cant just wait for everything to be single handled to you. You need to be proactive.

I'm not going to go into a heavy debate over this because it seems we have the same argument just in different threads.

What I will say is this:

Hard work means nothing, if you aren't in a environment conducive for your hard work to pay off.

Arnold says so himself in the video, he said there were plenty of other bodybuilders working out as hard as he was back in the day. How many 12 year olds know their names?

Why didn't he mention that he was Joe Weider's golden boy and that Joe Weider basically chose Arnold to be his poster boy for the muscle magazines?

Why did he call his expenses food supplements and not steroids? Everyone knows food supplements/bodybuilding supplements and steroids are two very different things.

Why did he claim he had 21 inch arms when they were only 19 inches?

Hopefully you can see that these are rhetorical questions.

Arnold only focused on the dependent variables that contributed to his success. No mention of the independent (like your connections, genetics) variables that are mostly out of your control. That's because talking about factors that are out of ones control don't make for very good motivational speeches, now do they?

I know I won't change your mind, but hopefully you will begin to at least question some of the status quo and ask yourself why you aren't a millionaire yet?

What you think I don't work my ass off, you think other people here haven't worked their asses off. Yup we all think its just us, we are special. No, the bitter pill to swallow is that most people have dreams. Most will never achieve them, not because they didn't put the hard work in, they didn't achieve them because they didn't have right independent variables playing to their advantage.

Hard work + connections + circumstantial Luck = success.
Successful people rarely touch on genetics and luck because it hurts their ego. They want you to believe that it's some mythical work ethic that got them to the throne.

All the things that khrazz said about luck and opportunity are true - you have to try. But that's the thing - many others tried. Maybe they even worked harder than Arnold. But Arnold had the best genetics of them all. He looks the best thanks to that. There's a reason why Weirder chose him - he had potential.
look at the very top movies stars, Cruise, Depp, Pitt, Di caprio, etc...

oh what a surprise they are all good looking. What a coincidence.

Red pill...blue pill....reality is a lot more painful than the dream
^^ There's a great piece on BB myths, that discussed this. This is purely from memory.

Everyone loves the story about how Joe Weider bought Arnold to America, gave him an apartment, a car, an allowance, and allowed him to train all day.

The reality is, it wasn't just Arnold's physique. It was his handsome face, his charismatic personality ...
^
"Zane: Joe Weider immediately fell in love with Arnold and whisked him off to California, ... Arnold got a Volkswagen, paid apartment, free supplements, couple hundred bucks a week. From Joe Weider, that was pretty amazing."

"Brainum: Arnold has all these stories where he laid bricks when he first came over here. He gave the impression that he did it for several years. That’s not true. He did it, but only for a short period. Arnold was not the kind of guy to do manual labor, trust me."

"Baker: ... his fundamental ground of being is to assess you for what you can offer to his life. ... he wanted to ascend to a more moneyed world. I couldn’t offer the moneyed world. And so then he went with a Beverly Hills lawyer’s daughter, and then the next big one was one of the Kennedys"
[Much like glamorous women who marry high-status men are afforded status themselves, the reason Arnold S attained mainstream popularity, and was not just seen as a big dumb guy, was because he deliberately sought out and succeeded in marrying a high status woman.]

"Balik: In bodybuilding we had never seen anybody combine personality with physique. That’s Arnold"

https://deadspin.com/sex-steroids-and-ar...1828228786
(01-15-2019, 02:23 PM)Brett Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 12:48 PM)khrazz Wrote: Life is full of what ifs and what will moments. You can say that Arnold cheated his way up, that could be the truth, however that does not mean he did not "chase" his luck or that he did not "create" his luck. Had he not competed in bodybuilding in germany, and had he not chased his dream of competing, we would not know him today. His future was already made up from his father, who  wanted Arnold to become a police officer. If he followed his dads dream, there would be no arnold today.

I'm not going to go into a heavy debate over this because it seems we have the same argument just in different threads.

What I will say is this:

Hard work means nothing, if you aren't in a environment conducive for your hard work to pay off.

Arnold says so himself in the video, he said there were plenty of other bodybuilders working out as hard as he was back in the day. How many 12 year olds know their names?

Why didn't he mention that he was Joe Weider's golden boy and that Joe Weider basically chose Arnold to be his poster boy for the muscle magazines?

Why did he call his expenses food supplements and not steroids? Everyone knows food supplements/bodybuilding supplements and steroids are two very different things.

Arnold only focused on the dependent variables that contributed to his success. No mention of the independent (like your connections, genetics) variables that are mostly out of your control. That's because talking about factors that are out of ones control don't make for very good motivational speeches, now do they?

I know I won't change your mind, but hopefully you will begin to at least question some of the status quo and ask yourself why you aren't a millionaire yet?

What you think I don't work my ass off, you think other people here haven't worked their asses off. Yup we all think its just us, we are special. No, the bitter pill to swallow is that most people have dreams. Most will never achieve them, not because they didn't put the hard work in, they didn't achieve them because they didn't have right independent variables playing to their advantage.

First of all, he cannot talk about his steroid use because its illegal, and that will push more people who are inspired by him to eventually use steroids themselves. "if arnold did it, so do i" will say the 15 year old, who is not mature enough to understand the whole picture.
When you are trying to motivate people, you focus on the bright side of things and not the bad side. Thats because the bad side is actually the demotivating side, and people who want to be motivated are already in a state of demotivation. We can argue all day whether motivation videos are pointless or not, but some people need them when they reach ground zero.

And yes you are right, talking about the independant factors does not make for a good motivational speech. However, the genetics part is actually a lot more complex than we think. Genetics do not only play a part on your body (for example, how it looks) , but the way you think, and the way you process things. Arnold, had use charisma, and a fun persona. Combine that with good work ethic, and you will have people looking to work with him.

When successful people say "work hard" they mean work smart. Also work hard = work hard ON YOUR SELF, to improve yourself. When you work hard on yourself, and correct your major flaws, you become charismatic, you inspire people. One such person, is Dwayne Johnson. I consider him, a huge motivation (at least for me). He suffered from depression, yet overcame it (at least on camera). His journey was not easy also. But he worked his ass off. And he has a persona. Do you see a motive here? Persona (personality) is EVERYTHING . People love to be around with fun personas, its the reason why Zyzz even after his death has people who love him like crazy.

Hard work is actually the first step you need to make. Its sort of like a rite of passage. When you not are trying to be the best, how can you demand that people give you attention? Luck is nothing more than exposing yourself to the world. Ofc, there is good luck and bad luck. Bad luck is getting on an airplane that crashes (god am i so nervous of flights or what Big Grin )
(01-16-2019, 07:27 AM)khrazz Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 02:23 PM)Brett Wrote:

What I will say is this:

First of all, he cannot talk about his steroid use because its illegal, and that will push more people who are inspired by him to eventually use steroids themselves. "if arnold did it, so do i" will say the 15 year old, who is not mature enough to understand the whole picture.
When you are trying to motivate people, you focus on the bright side of things and not the bad side. Thats because the bad side is actually the demotivating side, and people who want to be motivated are already in a state of demotivation. We can argue all day whether motivation videos are pointless or not, but some people need them when they reach ground zero.

And yes you are right, talking about the independant factors does not make for a good motivational speech. However, the genetics part is actually a lot more complex than we think. Genetics do not only play a part on your body (for example, how it looks) , but the way you think, and the way you process things. Arnold, had use charisma, and a fun persona. Combine that with good work ethic, and you will have people looking to work with him.

When successful people say "work hard" they mean work smart. Also work hard = work hard ON YOUR SELF, to improve yourself. When you work hard on yourself, and correct your major flaws, you become charismatic, you inspire people. One such person, is Dwayne Johnson. I consider him, a huge motivation (at least for me). He suffered from depression, yet overcame it (at least on camera). His journey was not easy also. But he worked his ass off. And he has a persona. Do you see a motive here? Persona (personality) is EVERYTHING . People love to be around with fun personas, its the reason why Zyzz even after his death has people who love him like crazy.

Hard work is actually the first step you need to make. Its sort of like a rite of passage. When you not are trying to be the best, how can you demand that people give you attention? Luck is nothing more than exposing yourself to the world. Ofc, there is good luck and bad luck. Bad luck is getting on an airplane that crashes (god am i so nervous of flights or what Big Grin )

Arnold did talk about his steroid use at the end of pumping iron remastered edition though.
In terms of Arnold S's success, he did something women have been doing for thousands of years.
He deliberately sought out a spouse that would give himself high-status.

Similar to when glamorous women marry high-status men, during their divorce, someone commented that the reason Arnold S went on to become a world famous actor, and not just be another big dumb muscly guy, is that he was married to a high-status woman.
Arnold dumped his girlfriend of 6 years to date a lawyers daughter, which lawyer had the connections to get Arnold into movies. Then he dumped her for Maria Shriver, to get him into politics.
Cold blooded ruthlessness was the key to his success.