Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What is your No1 exercise for each muscle group?
You can skip some if you dont have one or dont train it. You can list few exercises if so inclined. Giving a reason why the particular exercise would be nice.

heres a list you can copy+paste:
Forearms
Biceps
Triceps
Shoulders
Chest
Abs
back

legs
I can't do most of these due to an elbow and shoulder issues , but here are what I think are the most effective:

- Reverse EZ curls
- Incline dumbell curls
- close grip bench press
- wde grip dumbell upright rows
- Parillo bench press
- Reverse crunches
- bent over barbell rows
- full squats
(12-27-2018, 10:03 AM)Simple Simon Wrote: I can't do most of these due to an elbow and shoulder issues , but here are what I think are the most effective:

- Reverse EZ curls
- Incline dumbell curls
- close grip bench press
- wde grip dumbell upright rows
- Parillo bench press
- Reverse crunches
- bent over barbell rows
- full squats

Thanks for sharing!
I remember Bertil Fox being asked such a question in 'Where's the Beef' in FLEX in the 80s. And I still remember his responses.

Thighs: that's easy, cos nothing beats squats
chest: incline dumbbell press
back: another cinch, chins, heavy and to the back of the neck
shoulders: dumbbell shoulder press
biceps: incline dumbbell curls
triceps: lying EZ extensions are the best tricep beefers
calves: donkey calf raises
stomach: crunch situps
forearms: never trained 'em
^ Ummm... going way off-topic - and in the wake of the post-Weinstein revelations - how about we stop looking at performers (and pop-singers and sports people and ...) as some type of amazing human beings, looking to them for moral guidance and deep insights into society. How about we just appreciate their performances, and leave out all the idolising.
Bench press
Back and front squat
Dumbbell rows
Pull ups
Ab wheel rollouts

These cover everything and have the most carryover to all other movements in my experience.
(12-31-2018, 08:14 AM)Flip109 Wrote: Bench press
Back and front squat
Dumbbell rows
Pull ups
Ab wheel rollouts

These cover everything and have the most carryover to all other movements in my experience.

No shoulder work? Overhead press, or maybe side rises for medial delt. Otherwise- good selection

(01-05-2019, 01:28 AM)Minimalist Wrote: For me...

Hex bar deadlifts off blocks or the "hand and thigh" (8"ROM) lift - they stimulate most of the major muscle groups and CNS to a large degree in one shot. Also, having 3 herniated discs, they cause me little to no irritation. 

One arm DB clean and press,  again, a lotta bang for your buck. Guys these days focus way too much on benching and chest training, imo, men should be more focused on the back and shoulders.

Inverted row for me, greater lat activation than BB or Cable rows / little to no low back strain.

Every exercise is preformed from a deadstart. 

GGP work; farmer walks and prowler pushes, heavy bag drills or 500m sprints on the concept 2 rower.

As good as any exercise is though, dont except miracles.

Best

Pretty good choices, seems more "functional" type of training than a standard bench press/squat etc routine. Thanks for sharing
In my opinion I don’t feel hitting the shoulders directly has much effect on them at all as a natural after you have already hammered them with bench and front squat and the major pulling movements. Yes I think if you want to get picky there are a lot of little accessory movements you can throw in to hammer smaller muscles a lot more effectively, but I don’t believe it will change a natural lifters shape near enough to matter. It would be a fun experiment to run maybe. Haha
(01-05-2019, 02:57 PM)Minimalist Wrote:
(01-05-2019, 02:54 AM)The Light Among Darkness Wrote:
(12-31-2018, 08:14 AM)Flip109 Wrote: Bench press
Back and front squat
Dumbbell rows
Pull ups
Ab wheel rollouts

No shoulder work? Overhead press, or maybe side rises for medial delt. Otherwise- good selection

(01-05-2019, 01:28 AM)Minimalist Wrote: For me...

Hex bar deadlifts off blocks or the "hand and thigh" (8"ROM) lift - they stimulate most of the major muscle groups and CNS to a large degree in one shot. Also, having 3 herniated discs, they cause me little to no irritation. 

One arm DB clean and press,  again, a lotta bang for your buck. Guys these days focus way too much on benching and chest training, imo, men should be more focused on the back and shoulders.

Inverted row for me, greater lat activation than BB or Cable rows / little to no low back strain.

Every exercise is preformed from a deadstart. 

GGP work; farmer walks and prowler pushes, heavy bag drills or 500m sprints on the concept 2 rower.

As good as any exercise is though, dont except miracles.

Best

Pretty good choices, seems more "functional" type of training than a standard bench press/squat etc routine. Thanks for sharing

Ha, i guess so. I deadlift at home, everything else i traim in a strongman style gym. The squat and bench imo are the two most over rated exercises in existence bar none. But dont tell that to the barbell elitists, its a hanging offenceWink

Yes, bench and squat are overrated when it comes to show case strength or athleticism in general