Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stopping bodyweight training
I've been working out for 8 years. Working out roughly from once to three times per week. I only do bodyweight exercises so that's probably the reason why I still look like complete shit.
It's weird because I'm short as hell (5'5) yet I didn't get any short men gains. I did start from being really skinny like only 90 pounds but still I'm only 132 pounds (60kg) soaking wet.
I've seen YouTubers and bodyweight guys who were able to get decent results from bodyweight alone. Probably it's not for me.
Should I cut out this bodyweight training and finally sign up for a gym to finally make gains?
I decided to "bulk up" back in 2016 and made it to 140 pounds but only my midsection and double chin got bigger.

I more or less have the body of Drake Maverick (wwe wrestler). I'm around his height with same frame.
[Image: a0de931ded4cdeaf95b33804d93285b43f3baa2dv2_hq.jpg]

Thoughts? And oh I've been a reader of Natty Or Not since 2014. I even read your previous blog before this one and I forgot its title.
(09-12-2019, 07:11 PM)Rickley Wrote: I've been working out for 8 years. Working out roughly from once to three times per week. I only do bodyweight exercises so that's probably the reason why I still look like complete shit.
It's weird because I'm short as hell (5'5) yet I didn't get any short men gains. I did start from being really skinny like only 90 pounds but still I'm only 132 pounds (60kg) soaking wet.
I've seen YouTubers and bodyweight guys who were able to get decent results from bodyweight alone. Probably it's not for me.
Should I cut out this bodyweight training and finally sign up for a gym to finally make gains?
I decided to "bulk up" back in 2016 and made it to 140 pounds but only my midsection and double chin got bigger.

I more or less have the body of Drake Maverick (wwe wrestler). I'm around his height with same frame.
[Image: a0de931ded4cdeaf95b33804d93285b43f3baa2dv2_hq.jpg]

Thoughts? And oh I've been a reader of Natty Or Not since 2014. I even read your previous blog before this one and I forgot its title.

I am going to answer each bolded part separetely, hope i can clear things up

You cannot make any substantial long term muscle gains only by doing bodyweight training. I cannot stress this enough, its just not possible. The primary driver for muscle growth is progressive overload. How can you possibly increase your weekly tonage by bodyweight training? 2 things, either increasing your own bodyweight, thus increase the weight you lift, or by adding extra weight during the lift . One problem though, how much extra weight do you think you are going to be able to add before your body becomes accustomed to the added weight? You will then have to add more weight. So whats the issue you say? Well bodyweight training does not train all muscles equally. For example, dips while a fantastic exercise for shoulders/chest, if done in excess can  and will eventually cause an imbalance in your shoulders,  specifically rear delt vs side delt. Guess what will happen, when this imbalance becomes big enough ...

Another issue, is increasing your own personal bodyweight. Muscle growth does not happen daily. And to make matters worse, you would need to increase your bodyweight by 5lbs every single week, in order to increase your monthly tonage by 20lbs (a typical way of progressive overload) Can you guess how you would look like, six months into doing that? yikes... And to add even more salt to the burn, you would NEED to keep your bodyweight as stable as possible , because bw flactuation would cause an imbalance in your weekly/monthly tonnage lifted. This is very hard to achieve, and close to impossible, especially if you are a normal person that just wants to be in good shape.

The only reason you have seen Youtubers making good gains by bw training, is because they use drugs. And a shit load of them. Just because they are training in a way "nature" made us to train, does not mean they are not willing to inject a cocktail of drugs. And truth be told, they are actually injecting more than the average gym rat, because they have to make up to the lost tonnage they dont lift, compared to the average gym bro who does more weekly tonnage.

Last but not least, the only reason your bulk did not work out as you intended to, is because you did not provide enough stimulus for growth.

In my opinion, you should join a gym, and follow a basic progressive overload program. You dont have to cut out bodyweight training, in fact bodyweight training, in conjuction with weight training provides even more benefits than doing either one alone. Also, i would give good focus on leg training. One of the huge drawbacks  of bodyweight training, is that you do not train your legs. And no, bodyweight squats does not provide any load for your legs to grow.  Having weak legs, reduces your overall bmr, tdee, and insulin sensitivity. Reason being, in short, your legs make up 50% of your body (roughly), and weight a lot more than your chest/arms. In addition, you use them more  (walking to the store, climbing stairs) . If you increase your legs mass, thus their weight, a walk to the store that would previously burn 20-30calories, now  burns 50. Not much you say? Add those calories up, plus some form of cardio, and you are now free to eat one extra meal.  Big Grin
Thanks for the advice. What I do recently was to add weights on my bodyweight training like I recently got weight belt I can use on my pullups. I'm looking to join a gym but a few are quite far and I'd rather spend the money on food to bulk up.
Stay with bodyweight just add external weights or try harder exercises (unfortunately, bodyweight only progressions are too hard and most people will never reach level of "bar stars" unless you are into training from teen age or you are lightweight midget with favorable genetics)
You don't need gym to gain decent muscle mass, that story is just one more fitness crap propaganda
You have a couple of good articles on nattyornot site on this problematic - search it
Most guys who do bodyweight/calisthenics training already train with added weight. For example the guy who is able to do 5 one arm pull ups probably already trained few years prior weighed chip-ups/pull-ups to help him reach 5 one arm pulls per arm(or what number).

Here is some front level progression https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf0llz_Rfd0
Ofc this is not the best tutorial, but it is good example how to progress on front level which is great for all your back muscles and rear shoulders. Can you do front lever?
Same with planche, you do some progressions and increase your strength.

What are your bodyweight achievements?

I am with this guy Navigator. No matter if you train in gym or calisthenics you will end up with the same amount of mass, but with different "skills". For example I used to do pistol squats, then I started doing them with 10,20,30,50 lbs added weight, I made some decent leg gains and thought "what if I go to the gym and start doing all the fancy squats and stuff, and maybe my legs will get bigger". I started doing squats/deadlifts and the only thing changed was that my ass got a little big bigger. lol

Same with pull up training. I can do something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdjWgw98EeI or go to the gym and stuff there. You will end up with the same amount of muscle mass.