Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strength standards
Hi I am new to this forum, but I am wondering what you guys think is a good level of strength in some key lifts to achieve 90% + of your natural genetic potential?
(09-06-2019, 08:23 AM)Disillusioned Wrote: Hi I am new to this forum, but I am wondering what you guys think is a good level of strength in some key lifts to achieve 90% + of your natural genetic potential?

If you are natty with thin to avarage bone structure: 

I am 80kg - 6'1 - wrists are 6'7 inches. I am quite slender in that if I walk up behind you barefoot on a solid floor there is a chance you won't hear me.

My close-grip bench press is 80kg for reps.

My bent barbell row is 70kg for reps.

My single bench supported dumbbell row is 47kg for reps.

My front squat was 70kg for reps (but I no longer front squat and I had no squat rack).

My military press is 60kg for reps.

My pull-ups are around 12 max when I am fresh.

My dips are around 10 when I am fresh.

Push-ups are about if I went to max 30.

Barbell curls are around 40kg for reps.

Single-leg lying thigh curls are around 27kg for reps.

My snatch grip shrug is about 70kg for reps. Sometimes I take 40kg and go to about 21 reps.

I have been training for over ten years now - I have always trained for hypertrophy.

I have a slim waist and broad shoulders for my thin frame (I guess) so I look okay for a natty. I also have decent traps for a natty.

It depends why you are lifting. If your goal is strength, then the sky should be the limit.

Realistically, most people will get most benefits of lifting by accomplishing something like this:

Squat - 1.5BW
Deadlift - 2.5BW
Bench press - 1.2 BW
Press - 0.8BW

15 pull-ups in a row
20 dips in a row
(09-07-2019, 11:13 AM)TruthSeeker Wrote: It depends why you are lifting. If your goal is strength, then the sky should be the limit.

Realistically, most people will get most benefits of lifting by accomplishing something like this:

Squat - 1.5BW
Deadlift - 2.5BW
Bench press - 1.2 BW
Press - 0.8BW

15 pull-ups in a row
20 dips in a row

why is sky the limit for strength is it just harder to  reach that ?
(09-07-2019, 09:25 PM)Plato Wrote: why is sky the limit for strength is it just harder to  reach that ?

no. It simply means that you need to constantly challenge yourself with new weights, in order to keep growing and getting stronger
(09-07-2019, 11:13 AM)TruthSeeker Wrote: It depends why you are lifting. If your goal is strength, then the sky should be the limit.

Squat - 1.5BW
Deadlift - 2.5BW
Bench press - 1.2 BW
Press - 0.8BW

15 pull-ups in a row
20 dips in a row

In what rep range this numbers for the barbell lifts are done?
(09-11-2019, 05:35 PM)Mass_Bixo Wrote:  In what rep range this numbers for the barbell lifts are done?

It's subjective, but a set of five would be pretty decent.
Try to lift your bodyweight X your age. For example, if you are 30 years old and your weight is 80kg, try to bench press 80kg in a decent set of 30 reps

Try to lift your bodyweight X your age. For example, if you are 30 years old and your weight is 80kg, try to bench press 80kg in a decent set of 30 reps