Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Arnold's blue pill motivation for success
(02-13-2019, 02:01 AM)Simple Simon Wrote: ^ "He was superbly marketable. If you were to design the perfect male stereotype it would be him."

Ummm... he couldn't act, and couldn't speak clearly. What about "hunky" Mike O'Hearn? His film career went absolutely nowhere. He was just seen as a pretty boy. How did Arnold break through this? By marrying a high-status woman. And he planned that from the start.

I think, O'Hearn compares to Arnold as Robin does to Batman.

Seriously, he lacks that charisma Arnold has. I also perceive him as less manly, dominant, and accentuated than Arnold was. I have a hard time imaging him fighting the Predator ...

"... he couldn't act and couldn't speak clearly."
Like a caveman or a savage, right? Guess what his roles were ...

And then do not forget that Arnold simply had the right timing. Roids had just become mainstream back then. Consequently, he was way bigger than Reves and Park (plus younger). Other contemporary bodybuilders of his time were inferior to him in one aspect or the other (Ferrigno was less charismatic, Columbo was too short, ...). So the fitness and movie industry rightfully choose him. He was their perfect product.

Today, roids are ubiquitous and the public has gotten used to the looks they create. Thanks to that, the "experts" in Hollywood can pump up an actor within two or three months to impressive size. It thus has become much more difficult to just monetize a muscular look alone in the movie business today.
So no one was is backing the theory that marrying a high status woman gave Arnold S the gravitas to be taken seriously as an actor and celebrity.

In my country, when a glamorous woman marries a high-status footballer, it automatically gives the woman status. She is no longer a dumb model getting lucky and living on her looks. All of her sudden her views on childhood, parenting, life ... are sought out and taken as the words of some grand philosopher. Anold S did this in reverse. As I once read about the man, Arnold would learn from anyone.
(02-15-2019, 10:14 AM)Simple Simon Wrote: In my country, when a glamorous woman marries a high-status footballer, it automatically gives the woman status. She is no longer a dumb model getting lucky and living on her looks. All of her sudden her views on childhood, parenting, life ... are sought out and taken as the words of some grand philosopher. Anold S did this in reverse. As I once read about the man, Arnold would learn from anyone.

Men and women are inherently different. The role you describe does not suit a man very well.
The truth is:
Most people who are sucessful worked hard (most, there are always excptions)...
But the vast majority of people who work hard are not sucessful.
Work ethic and dedication are often needed factors, but never sufficient factors.

The other problem is the notion that everybody needs to compare themselves to the top celebrities, athletes, CEOs to their live have some meaning. The video makes clear that in his worldview a normal guy who is just working hard to raise his family just failed in life.
(02-12-2019, 03:15 AM)Grinch Wrote: [quote pid='2402' dateline='1549936204']

Why did Arnold S become the biggest actor in the world, and not be seen as just a big dumb guy? Was it because he married a high-status woman? 

As a side note, I read Wendy Leigh's book 'Arnold' years ago, but it all seemed pretty tame. I might read it again.

Hollywood has made stars out of many men  and women of average intelligence. The key is to get selected in the first place. Arnold's big breakthrough roles came in 1982 and 1984, Conan and Terminator. 
Most bodybuilders viewed Arnold as an asshole. Arnold would trash talk competitors on stage, trying to disrupt their posing.
Arnold has had many nicknames, not all of them complimentary - Terminator, Governator, Gropinator, Sperminator.
[/quote]

Pumping Iron when they were in South Africa posing that French black guy was eyeing Arnie up....you could see he was like "DAmm.....that guy is going to beat me"

Arnie finishes his warm up (pump up) and casually walks over to him and whispers in his ear "........" Something...i think it was "Are you admiring me....just admiring.." and you can see the French guy goes all defensive and tries to dismiss him... But Arnie was right. He was admiring.

This was Arnie's M.O. Take any advantage he could.

He won and that French guy came 2nd...Louis Ferringo came 3rd...Was it 1981?

(02-16-2019, 01:29 PM)Mass_Bixo Wrote: The truth is:
Most people who are sucessful worked hard (most, there are  always excptions)...
But the vast majority of people who work hard are not sucessful.
Work ethic and dedication are often needed factors, but never sufficient factors.

The other problem is the notion that everybody needs to compare themselves to the top celebrities, athletes, CEOs to their live have some meaning. The video makes clear that in his worldview a normal guy who is just working hard to raise his family just failed in life.

That is spot on. There are tens of thousands of hard working factory workers, nurses, drivers, leabourers etc...that never got rich nor would they even if they worked harder.

You have to work hard where the ceiling is huge....and even then it's about 2% chance of success.

When you see Johnny Self made millionaire....you don't hear about the other 50 that tried and failed do you? So it gives the impression "everyone that worked had will succeed" Reality is it gives you a small chance of success only.

Now.....do something illegal......or have such an unfair edge to start with and you chance of success jump..IF you survive of course.